Current SPAD.neXt Release: 0.9.12.123

This forum has closed. Please join our Discord Community.

SPAD.neXt online services are no longer available for SPAD.neXt Versions < 0.9.11.5

Saitek Display not Working - Windows 8.1 Power Management

General Discussions
ab-tools
Betatester

Saitek Display not Working - Windows 8.1 Power Management

Post by ab-tools » 01 Aug 2015, 16:01

Hello,

just posting that here as probably a lot Saitek device users are around here.

I had a lot of problems getting all Saitek devices working probably together with my Windows 8.1 PC. First I thought the active USB 2.0 hubs did not supply enough power, but after some further testing I found out this was not the problem.

The problem is the "Enhanced USB Power Management" of Windows 8 which causing the devices to fail. As there is no simple way to disabling that in Windows and I did not wanted to do that manually for all my devices, I wrote a small program that does exactly that.

So if somebody else should have problems with the Saitek devices disconnecting or - just as for me - the Saitek Multi Panel display is lid a bit, but no text is visible, then this probably helps:
just run the attached EXE file and click on the disable button. Afterwards you only need to disconnect and reconnect your Saitek devices to make the change take effect (no PC restart needed).

If you want to revert that change for any reason, just click on the reset to default button.

In case the program should not start, please make sure that the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is installed on your computer. You can get it here.

Hope that helps someone!

Best regards
Andreas
Attachments
SaitekUSBFix.zip
(9.78 KiB) Downloaded 633 times

fppilot
Donator

Re: Saitek Display not Working - Windows 8.1 Power Management

Post by fppilot » 02 Aug 2015, 21:04

Hi Andreas,
Have you attempted this with Windows 10 yet?

Frank

ab-tools
Betatester

Post by ab-tools » 02 Aug 2015, 21:24

Hello Frank,

no, to be honest not as I didn't migrated to Windows 10 yet: the experience from the past showed that it's not a good idea to use a new Windows version productively from the very first day. ;-)

But I would not see a reason why running this program would hurt anything:
you could even run it on Windows 7 and it will just have no effect at all.

So I would suggest if you have USB problems (especially the mentioned display problem with the Saitek Multi Panel) on Windows 10, just give it a try:
let us know about your result then if it helped for you also on Windows 10!

Best regards
Andreas

c0nnex
Site Admin

Post by c0nnex » 02 Aug 2015, 22:08

From what i read in the forums, that PowerDown-Problem should be gone in Windows 10.

thedazman
Betatester

Post by thedazman » 03 Aug 2015, 00:14

I've done a full system image in readiness for Win10, just now sure if I should make the jump. Think I will give it some time.

Daren
"theDAZman" aka "theGFXguy"
https://fipgauges.com

fppilot
Donator

Post by fppilot » 03 Aug 2015, 03:28

From what i read in the forums, that PowerDown-Problem should be gone in Windows 10.
First, to put aside any fears about my migration to Windows, my system has slide-in SATA bays behind a sliding front panel. I clone my primary drive once each 30 days. I made a clone and booted into the clone for the Windows 10 migration, and am only using to test for compatibility with all the aspects of my FSX and add-ons, So I am booting back to my Windows 7 drive at this point for all my other PC use.

in Windows 7 I only had one form of power issue with my Saitek Pro Cessna Yoke, Multi-Panel, and Pro Cessna Rudder pedals. That one issue is low power to the multi-panel if it is connected to a USB outlet on the yoke. When connected direct to USB port on the CPU it is fine. Oddly, I got the Saitek external power supply for the yoke and the power problem with the MP is actually worse with the power supply connected. Go figure!

In Windows 10, using the drivers Windows 10 chose and Spad (just found out about Spad.neXT today) the display on the MP does not light up at all, even does not light up during initialization when I start Spad. I tried the .exe file for changing registry settings posted very recently and that did not cure the issue. So there is still some issue with Windows 10 and the Saitek MP.

I hear Saitek is working on a new set of Windows 10 drivers, but in my Windows 7 setup I do not even have the Saitek drivers on my system. Only using Spad. I found information elsewhere on settings in Windows 8.1 device properties, and registry edits, and attempted to use those in Windows 10 but those did not work, and in fact the registry edits did not match what I found in the Windows 10 registry. So I am curious as to what will be the solution.

ab-tools
Betatester

Post by ab-tools » 03 Aug 2015, 14:49

Hello fppilot,

does the Multi Panel display not light up at all for you (what could be also a "not enough power over USB hub" problem) or is there a light backlight, but you can't see any text displayed?
The last thing is what happened to my Multi Panel display before I did the USB fix with my small tool above.

As I wrote I don't have Windows 10 myself yet for testing, but according to this forum post from today the problem still persists and is fixable with my tool above the same way as for Windows 8.x:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost2627601

It the forum thread above they link to this Microsoft webpage which describes exactly what my tool does - just for all Saitek devices with "one button click":
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/arc ... ently.aspx

So it looks like nothing changed with Windows 10 regarding this USB power issue, but it still can be fixed in the registry manually or with my small tool above - or hopefully somewhen by Saitek:
it's really a shame that they obviously don't care about their products at all considering the fix from Saitek side would just be few more lines in the driver INF file which are also mentioned on the Microsoft page above!

Best regards
Andreas

c0nnex
Site Admin

Post by c0nnex » 03 Aug 2015, 14:53

For my part I can say that the fix (used to do that by hand) never worked for me. That's why i reverted to W7

ab-tools
Betatester

Post by ab-tools » 03 Aug 2015, 14:58

Ah, OK - for me it really worked without problems:
after switching to another USB hub without success and even tested a brand-new Multi Panel unit which had the same problem, I searched a bit more for a solution and after I applied this registry change both Multi Panel units (old and new) worked without problems.

Then I just didn't want to do that manually for all other Saitek devices (which also had problems from time to time) and wrote a program for it. ;-)

fppilot
Donator

Post by fppilot » 03 Aug 2015, 21:30

Andreas,
Thank you so much. I got the Saitek Multipanel working today under Windows 10. Finally. Not sure what the problem was yesteday. Went in today via Regedit and found the address entry for the multi-panel and checked and the EnhancedPowerManagement was there with a 0 zero value. Yesterday the parameter was not there at all. Perhaps I had neglected to reboot yesterday or some other glitch like that. Today the subaddress for the device changed slightly. In any case, I ran Spad (old version) and for the first time saw the multi-panel display initialize. Loaded FSX and verified there as working.

Not sure yet, but this may have solved an issue I had even in Windows 7 where the multipanel did not get adequate power if connected to a USB port on my Saitek Cessna Pro Flight Yoke. I always had to connect to a USB port on the CPU. With that issue connected to the yoke the multipanel display worked but was dim and would quit in mid flight. I connected the multipanel that way today (to the yoke) after your fix and the display seems fully bright to me now.